Two weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me a simple wooden frame from Ikea which I painted with acrylic paint and THESE amazing new paintbrushes!
It definitely beats my old ‘fine line’ paintbrush!
Here’s the result!
This past week, I went shopping in Toronto and decided to make a stop at Curry’s! I hadn’t been there in a long time, and I was like a kid in a candy store! Anyways, they had some paper on sale, so I got a roll of blue paper for $0.25. I decided to get some darker blue Nu Pastel to work on this toned paper. I have never worked on toned paper in any other colour except for grey, and that too, I’ve only worked on commercially toned paper once before my recent card-making spree. I actually really enjoyed it, and I will probably be using the blue paper for another card or two in the near future.
The first image is the card alone, and the second is the new card along with the two other cards I recently made.
Last week, I had a few people stay overnight, and for breakfast we decided to make some Aunt Jemima “Just-Add-Water” pancakes. Yum!
When my friend asked for Micky Mouse pancakes, my first instinct was “How old are you, three?”, but when I got started (with the bear pancakes), I couldn’t stop, and I ended up with a lot of fun pancake shapes! Unfortunately, my entire teddy bear pancake complete with a body, hands and legs wasn’t photographed.
Also, on Thursday, it was my daddy’s birthday so I made a cake using this recipe. I added a quarter cup more milk than the recipe called for and used lactose free milk, and the cake turned out great! I also liked that it was a slightly smaller quantity, just right for four people. We didn’t have any icing at home, so I used some crumbs to make a balloon, and chocolate chips to decorate the rest.
As Winter in Toronto comes to an end, I thought I would post my submission for “The Star’s” Winter In Toronto Contest for emerging artists. You can see the winners here. The winning piece definitely deserved the win. I love the style and simplicity of the painting and its definitely something all Torontonians could relate to.
I have pasted my submission below. I randomly polled my friends to find out what Winter in Toronto reminded them of in one word, and decided to combine it all in this 11×17 drawing on bristol vellum using graphite pencils.
I called the piece “Winter Window”, and it depicts what one would dream of right before the beginning of the winter season. Of course, this is complete with a cup of hot Canadian coffee!
For my birthday, I got a ton of home made cards, which my friends & family probably realized that I do love. (Of course, when one of my friends asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I said ‘a homemade card’ lol, so I asked for that one :P). Anyways, I think my friends are all pretty amazing artists!
1) Kids cards!: The card below was the first card I recieved, and it was from my 3 year old cousin. I think I sense an artist in the making! The second card is from my friend who is 21, but I felt that his drawing fit in the kids category :P
2) A very personal card: This hilarious card from my sister made my day. It’s filled with inside jokes like my bad haircut, our biggest fight (actually), and how I react to jokes. Isn’t she ridiculously amazing at cartooning?
3) Card Modification: As a vegetarian and a bit of a fob, my friend decided to modify this card that she bought. Also, she sent it to me via snail mail, which was very exciting (I love getting mail)!
4) A nerdy card: My closest friends at university always make homemade cards, and usually, they’re full of math jokes. This one not only had a (very accurate) picture of me in the front, but I had to decrypt the code inside using an affine cipher. If that isn’t nerdy, I dont know what is! And yes, the code is “Having fun isn’t hard, when you’ve got a library card!” :P
5) A great attempt: My friend who can’t draw to save his life (kidding: P) worked really hard on this card! He started calling me pineapple head after a bad hairstyle, and somehow I started calling him Mr. Potato Head (Those are potatoes)
6) I can’t be-leaf it!: My friend Vidya (whose card I recently made) made me this card that she stuck leaves onto! I thought it looked pretty great :) Also, to top if off, she gave me a homemade present- these amazing earrings! Vidya, as i’ve mentioned before is amazing at jewelry making. You can check her out on her website!
7) An artist’s card: My friend Annya who blogs at http://annya-suman.blogspot.com is an amazing painter, and she painted this card for me. It looked great!!! Also, her sister and one of my closest friends made the envelope (See, I did give you credit :)!
And there you have it, amazing birthday cards from amazing people :) What do you all think?
(By the way, I now have a subscription button on the right menu bar of my blog! By subscribing to Srisarts, you will get email notifications whenever I make a post, so check it out!)
Last night I made two quick floral cards using Canson Mi Tiente toned paper and black and white Nu Pastels. Over my reading week, I hope to make a couple of multipurpose cards so I am not scrambling at the last minute before any event!
Speaking of scrambling at the last minute, I made this last minute card for my friend whose birthday is a day before mine. Next time I am going to write out the text before penning it in so I don’t spell birthday wrong by accident :P For this card, I used card paper, black Stabilo pen, and silver pen.
I’d like to wish everyone a very happy Valentines Day with this quick cut and paste heart using premade scrap book paper, and a quick rendition of Pehla Nasha. I used a Karaoke that I found on YouTube, and used Audacity to change the pitch and add my voice in. Enjoy! :)
Pehla Nasha Lyrics & Translation
I got the translation from HERE
Chaahe Tum Kuch Na Kaho, Maine Sunn Liya
Though you didn’t say anything, I heard you
Ke Saathi Pyaar Ka, Mujhe Chunn Liya
That you chose me your mate
Chun Liya, Maine Sunn Liya
You chose me, and I heard it
Pehla Nasha, Pehla Khumaar
The first elation, first hangover
Naya Pyaar Hai, Naya Intezaar
Love is new to me, so is this longing
Karloon Main Kya Apna Haal
What will I do to myself
Oh restless heart
Mere Dil-E-Beqaraar, Tu Hi Bata
My restless heart, you may tell me
Udtaa Hi Phiroon Inn Hawaon Mein Kahin
Shall I roam around along this wind
Ya Main Jhool Jaon Inn Ghataon Mein Kahin
Or shall I swing on these clouds
Ek Kardoon Aasmaan Aur Zameen
May I unite the sky and earth
Kaho Yaaron Kya Karoon, Kya Nahin
Tell me friends, what I should do and what not
Usne Baat Ki Kuch Aise Dhang Se
He spoke to me such a way that
Sapne De Gaya Woh Hazaaron Rang Ke
He gave me dreams in a thousand colours
Reh Jaun Jaise Main Haarke
I will remain surrendered like this
Aur Choome Woh Mujhe Pyaar Se
And he will kiss me with Love
P.S: I had scheduled this post for valentines day, and I just realized today that I didn’t click Publish!!