I hope all of you had a wonderful Navrathri season, filled with Golu’s and Garba. I also hope everyone had a great Dussera/Vijaya Dashimi.
Though Navrathri/Diwali season is one of my favourites, we invariably end up with way too many apples for one family to finish, which is why my sister and I decided to make Apple Crisp. We made it twice; Once during the big Navrathri weekend, and again last weekend when ‘apple season’ was over. This recipe makes the absolute BEST apple crisp I have EVER had (Even store bought), and it literally evaporates from the kitchen.
If you like apple crisp, and even if you don’t, you definitely MUST try this out. It also helps if you have poor unsuspecting friends visit- They make great apple peelers.
I got the recipe from this link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/apple-crisp-ii/detail.aspx, and with several modifications (More ‘crisp’, less sugar), this was the recipe I used:
- 10 cups all-purpose apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the sliced apples in a 9×13 inch pan. Mix the 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over all.
- Combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.
( I personally like a lot of topping, but if you don’t I would suggest using 1.5x the original ‘crisp’ quantities)